A friend is setting up her second digital portfolio. Her first portfolio was maintained by a friend/IT consultant and is no longer available. The main question here is to establish the different needs:
- The portfolio should be beautiful and promote the photos / videos in aesthetically pleasing ways
- The photographer should have some mastery of the portfolio contents and organisation
- There should be a way to learn more about the photographer from the portfolio website
There are different types of technologies we can explore for establishing a photographer portfolio:
- Generic website creation services that can also be used for photography / videography such as Wix, Square Space, etc.
- Specific photography / videography services that also provide portfolio and perhaps website creation as well such as Zenfolio, Jingoo, Book.fr, Adobe Portfolio (myportfolio.com) etc.
- From-scratch solutions with or without a content-management backend such as WordPress, etc.
- Pure social-media solutions such as Flickr, Instagram, etc.
Let’s take a look at these different types of solutions individually. This study will only take into account the creation of the website. It will not take into account community management, emailing/newsletter, etc.
1. Generic Website Cloud-Creation Services
This blog post is work in progress. If you are interested for more analysis, or if you would like to contribute, please leave a comment.